Saturday, November 22, 2008

Marilyn Manson --- Songs?

In a bid to listen to new kinds of music, I decided one day deviate from the genre of music I generally listen to when on the move, and switch to what my friends were raving about. And thus went ahead and put in my iPod, Marilyn Manson: Antichrist Superstar. I had already heard two of their songs, and they didn’t seem so outlandish. I regret I expected the same from this album. 


The songs start off with morbid music. Deathly and ghoulish, the start of the song is almost certain to give you the creeps at night. The songs’ intro can be used for the original soundtrack of a film Zombies-a-rising. And those that don’t fit that bill will be just perfect as a dirge. That’s as much as I can say about the intro to any song. 


If perchance, we decide to listen on and not skip the song after the intro, we then begin to understand my peers’ raving in unintelligible noises. They are merely singing the song!!! The words just don’t feature in any language. We know bands like Rammstein is German, so we expect to not understand. A linguist of global nature wouldn’t know what to make of this group’s songs. Their lexicon seems to be borrowed from aliens. 


All these thoughts went through my mind as I sat in the bus, listening to the songs, when suddenly; I was wrenched away from the song by the sound of screeching brakes. I soon realized this wasn’t any accident, because the bus continued to move… the iPod was showing the first song had ended and the next song had begun! What I had heard was the coda, indistinguishable from screeching brakes! The other songs too had similar pieces featuring breaking guitars, screams, and fade-outs in some sort of gibberish. 


Strangely, I didn’t mind all the weird elements to this kind of music. “Alternative metal” it’s called. The incomprehensible lyrics don’t really bother me and I am sure they don’t bother the fans of this Band either. The music is nice, the only thing is that to enjoy it best all you need to do is emerge from the crypt. 

2 comments:

E said...

that's marilyn manson for you. on the subject of indecipherable singing, try making sense of cannibal corpse lyrics. if you understand even one syllable, you've got the hearing of a dog or very large headphones or speakers.

Nikhil said...

Cannibal corpse??? theres really a band by that name??? oh boy...why not..i dont suppose it will have human voices will it? since all the chappies have been made a nice delectable pie!