Tuesday, July 07, 2009

The Data Space Equivalency

I am sure many of you are familiar with Parkinson's Law:


Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

This is rather self explanatory, and therefore some computer guy came up with one more...the Corollary:


Data expands to fill the space available for storage.

This single line is so heavily valid in today's context! I have worked with computer when the HDD was 2 GB. That time this law didn't apply... maybe because there was nothing to put in a computer except small files, or that i just didnt know what existed. In the past few years however, having had a desktop with 40 GB wasn't enough. So we added an extra 80 GB for the data. Then when i went on to get my first Laptop, it had 120 GB in it. It felt like all the space in the world. Then soon enough, the internet Broadband became unlimited, so downloads happened. Friends with a LAN came over with oodles of binary data. Which is when I went and bought myself an external HDD of 80GB! Dearth of space continued and i upgraded my lappy to 160 GB of HD space.In the hope that that would solve my problems.

Before my recent trip to Singapore, where i went to visit a friend, i learnt that he had an 8 Mbps connection. Now that meant 1 MB per sec!!! Do you see what thought raced around my head!  Amazing Download speed. Take that one step further...SO MANY DOWNLOADS!

To accomodate these downloads i had to have space. I took with me a fresh set of blank DVDs. My external HDD was almost full with data, so i copied only what i needed and put it on my desktops old HDD. I picked up all the Pen drive i could see at home and didn't push off until i was sure i packed them all!

I am back home now, and not finding sufficient space on my HDD to put in new data, i removed my music library(30 GB). Now i have upgraded my Bandwidth, and to because i can download faster, i download more. I now find myself dealing with OS warning messages of low disk space :( . 


Powered by Qumana

1 comment:

Akshay said...

true...take refrigirators....they are always full...no matter how big u find shudve been bigger ...:)